Trade Deal Compromise – Teddies Unwelcome – Algal Bloom – Protesting Greens – Olympic Grumblers
- TRADE DEAL COMPROMISE: Prime Minister Helen Clark and Opposition Leader Jenny Shipley edged closer towards a
face-saving compromise over a free-trade deal with Singapore.
- TEDDIES UNWELCOME: Hospitals are excluding teddy bears from their toy collections and toy libraries, as they are no
longer considered hygienic.
- ALGAL BLOOM: The toxic algal bloom carrying a potentially fatal paralytic shellfish poison down the North Island’s
west coast has reached Wellington.
- PROTESTING GREENS: Green MP Sue Bradford says she will need medical attention after she and Nandor Tanczos were part
of a protest group trampled by riot police outside the World Economic Forum in Melbourne.
- OLYMPIC GRUMBLERS: Visiting Olympic teams have a variety of gripes with the organisation of the games, and their
treatment by Australian customs.
Inside Political Headlines:
- Kiwis face higher taxes in Australia;
- Prisoners got $250,000, MP claims;
- Help coming for subcontractors;
- Tribe moves closer to treaty settlement;
- Turia sidesteps ‘Holocaust’ hassles.
Editorial: Why won’t they come home?