“Oh Lucy! – You Gotta Lotta ‘Splainin To Do”
IF CIA AND THE GOVERNMENT WEREN’T INVOLVED IN THE SEPTEMBER 11 ATTACKS WHAT WERE THEY DOING?
Bin Laden Met with the CIA in July and Walked Away
Michael C. Ruppert
[© COPYRIGHT 2001, All Rights Reserved, Michael C. Ruppert and From The Wilderness Publications, http://www.copvcia.com
. May be copied and distributed for non-profit purposes only.]
FTW, November 2, 2001 – 1200 PST -- On October 31, the French daily Le Figaro dropped a bombshell. While in a Dubai
hospital receiving treatment for a chronic kidney infection last July, Osama bin Laden met with a top CIA official -
presumably the Chief of Station. The meeting, held in bin Laden’s private suite, took place at the American hospital in
Dubai at a time when he was a wanted fugitive for the bombings of two U.S. embassies and this year’s attack on the
U.S.S. Cole. Bin Laden was eligible for execution according to a 2000 intelligence finding issued by President Bill
Clinton before leaving office in January. Yet on July 14th he was allowed to leave Dubai on a private jet and there were
no Navy fighters waiting to force him down.
In 1985 Oliver North – the only member of the Reagan-Bush years who doesn’t appear to have a hand in the current war -
sent the Navy and commandos after terrorists on the cruise ship Achille Lauro. In his 1991 autobiography “Under Fire,”
while describing terrorist Abu Abbas, North wrote, “I used to wonder: how many dead Americans will it take before we do
something?” One could look at the number of Americans Osama bin Laden is alleged to have killed before September 11 and
ask the same question.
It gets worse, much worse. A more complete timeline listing crucial events both before and after the September 11th
suicide attacks, which have been blamed on bin Laden, establishes CIA foreknowledge of them and strongly suggests that
there was criminal complicity on the part of the U.S. government in their execution. It also makes clear that the events
which have taken place since September 11th are based upon an agenda that has little to do with the attacks.
One wonders how these events could have been ignored by the major media or treated as isolated incidents. Failing that,
how could skilled news agencies avoid being outraged, or at least even just a little suspicious?
1. 1998 and 2000 - Former President George H.W. Bush travels to Saudi Arabia on behalf of the privately owned Carlyle
Group, the 11th largest defense contractor in the U.S. While there he meets privately with the Saudi royal family and
the bin Laden family. [Source: Wall Street Journal, Sept. 27, 2001. See also FTW, Vol. IV, No 7 – “The Best Enemies
Money Can Buy,” - http://www.copvcia.com/members/carlyle.html. ]
2. Feb 13, 2001 – UPI Terrorism Correspondent Richard Sale – while covering a trial of bin Laden’s Al Q’aeda followers -
reports that the National Security Agency has broken bin Laden’s encrypted communications. Even if this indicates that
bin Laden changed systems in February it does not mesh with the fact that the government insists that the attacks had
been planned for years.
3. May 2001 – Secretary of State Colin Powell gives $43 million in aid to the Taliban regime, purportedly to assist
hungry farmers who are starving since the destruction of their opium crop in January on orders of the Taliban regime.
[Source: The Los Angeles Times, May 22, 2001].
4. May, 2001 – Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage, a career covert operative and former Navy Seal, travels to
India on a publicized tour while CIA Director George Tenet makes a quiet visit to Pakistan to meet with Pakistani leader
General Pervez Musharraf. Armitage has long and deep Pakistani intelligence connections and he is the recipient of the
highest civil decoration awarded by Pakistan. It would be reasonable to assume that while in Islamabad, Tenet, in what
was described as “an unusually long meeting,” also met with his Pakistani counterpart, Lt. General Mahmud Ahmad, head of
the ISI. [Source The Indian SAPRA news agency, May 22, 2001.]
5. July, 2001 – Three American officials: Tom Simmons (former U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan), Karl Inderfurth (former
Assistant Secretary of State for South Asian affairs) and Lee Coldren (former State Department expert on South Asia),
meet with Taliban representatives in Berlin and tell them that the U.S. is planning military strikes against Afghanistan
in October. Also present are Russian and German intelligence officers who confirm the threat. [Source: The Guardian,
September 22, 2001; the BBC, September 18, 2001.]
6. Summer 2001 - According to a Sept. 26 story in Britain’s The Guardian, correspondent David Leigh reported that, “U.S.
department of defense official, Dr. Jeffrey Starr, visited Tajikistan in January. The Guardian’s Felicity Lawrence
established that US Rangers were also training special troops in Kyrgyzstan. There were unconfirmed reports that Tajik
and Uzbek special troops were training in Alaska and Montana.”
7. Summer 2001 (est.) – Pakistani ISI Chief General Mahmud (see above) orders an aide to wire transfer $100,000 to
Mohammed Atta, who was according to the FBI, the lead terrorist in the suicide hijackings. Mahmud recently resigned
after the transfer was disclosed in India and confirmed by the FBI. [Source: The Times of India, October 11, 2001.]
8. June 2001 – German intelligence, the BND, warns the CIA and Israel that Middle Eastern terrorists are “planning to
hijack commercial aircraft to use as weapons to attack important symbols of American and Israeli culture.” [Source:
Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, September 14, 2001.]
9. Summer 2001 – An Iranian man phones U.S. law enforcement to warn of an imminent attack on the World Trade Center in
the week of September 9th. German police confirm the calls but state that the U.S. Secret Service would not reveal any
further information. [Source: German news agency “online.ie”, September 14, 2001.]
10. August 2001 – The FBI arrests an Islamic militant linked to bin Laden in Boston. French intelligence sources confirm
that the man is a key member of bin Laden’s network and the FBI learns that he has been taking flying lessons. At the
time of his arrest the man is in possession of technical information on Boeing aircraft and flight manuals. [Source:
Reuters, September 13.]
11. Summer 2001 – Russian intelligence notifies the CIA that 25 terrorist pilots have been specifically training for
suicide missions. This is reported in the Russian press and news stories are translated for FTW by a retired CIA
12. July 4-14, 2001 – Osama bin Laden receives treatments for kidney disease at the American hospital in Dubai and meets
with a CIA official who returns to CIA headquarters on July 15th. [Source: Le Figaro, October 31st, 2001.]
13. August 2001 – Russian President Vladimir Putin orders Russian intelligence to warn the U.S. government “in the
strongest possible terms” of imminent attacks on airports and government buildings. [Source: MS-NBC interview with
Putin, September 15.]
14. August/September, 2001 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average drops nearly 900 points in the three weeks prior to the
attack. A major stock market crash is imminent.
15. Sept. 3-10, 2001 – MS-NBC reports on September 16 that a caller to a Cayman Islands radio talk show gave several
warnings of an imminent attack on the U.S. by bin Laden in the week prior to 9/11.
16. September 1-10, 2001 – 25,000 British troops and the largest British Armada since the Falkland Islands War, part of
Operation “Essential Harvest,” are pre-positioned in Oman, the closest point on the Arabian Peninsula to Pakistan. At
the same time two U.S. carrier battle groups arrive on station in the Gulf of Arabia just off the Pakistani coast. Also
at the same time, some 17,000 U.S. troops join more than 23,000 NATO troops in Egypt for Operation “Bright Star.” All of
these forces are in place before the first plane hits the World Trade Center. [Sources: The Guardian, CNN, FOX, The
Observer, International Law Professor Francis Boyle, the University of Illinois.]
17. September 6-7, 2001 – 4,744 put options (a speculation that the stock will go down) are purchased on United Air
Lines stock as opposed to only 396 call options (speculation that the stock will go up). This is a dramatic and abnormal
increase in sales of put options. Many of the UAL puts are purchased through Deutschebank/AB Brown, a firm managed until
1998 by the current Executive Director of the CIA, A.B. “Buzzy” Krongard. [Source: The Herzliyya International Policy
Institute for Counterterrorism, http://www.ict.org.il/, September 21; The New York Times; The Wall Street Journal.]
18. September 10, 2001 - 4,516 put options are purchased on American Airlines as compared to 748 call options. [Source:
ICT – above]
19. September 6-11, 2001 - No other airlines show any similar trading patterns to those experienced by UAL and American.
The put option purchases on both airlines were 600% above normal. This at a time when Reuters (September 10) issues a
business report stating, “Airline stocks may be poised to take off.”
20. September 6-10, 2001 – Highly abnormal levels of put options are purchased in Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, AXA
Re(insurance) which owns 25% of American Airlines, and Munich Re. All of these companies are directly impacted by the
September 11 attacks. [Source: ICT, above; FTW, Vol. IV, No.7, October 18, 2001,
21. It has been documented that the CIA, the Israeli Mossad and many other intelligence agencies monitor stock trading
in real time using highly advanced programs reported to be descended from Promis software. This is to alert national
intelligence services of just such kinds of attacks. Promis was reported, as recently as June, 2001 to be in Osama bin
Laden’s possession and, as a result of recent stories by FOX, both the FBI and the Justice Department have confirmed its
use for U.S. intelligence gathering through at least this summer. This would confirm that CIA had additional advance
warning of imminent attacks. [Sources: The Washington Times, June 15, 2001; FOX News, October 16, 2001; FTW, October 26,
2001, - http://www.copvcia.com/members/magic_carpet.html; FTW, Vol. IV, No.6, Sept. 18, 2001 -
http://www.copvcia.com/members/sept1801.html; FTW, Vol. 3, No 7, 9/30/00 -
22. September 11, 2001 – Gen Mahmud of the ISI (see above), friend of Mohammed Atta, is visiting Washington on behalf of
the Taliban. [Source: MS-NBC, Oct. 7.]
23. September 11, 2001, For 35 minutes, from 8:15 AM until 9:05 AM, with it widely known within the FAA and the military
that four planes have been simultaneously hijacked and taken off course, no one notifies the President of the United
States. It is not until 9:30 that any Air Force planes are scrambled to intercept, but by then it is too late. This
means that the National Command Authority waited for 75 minutes before scrambling aircraft, even though it was known
that four simultaneous hijackings had occurred – an event that has never happened in history. [Sources: CNN, ABC,
MS-NBC, The Los Angeles Times, The New York Times.]
24. September 13, 2001 – China is admitted to the World Trade Organization quickly, after 15 years of unsuccessful
attempts. [Source: The New York Times, Sept. 30, 2001.]
25. September 15, 2001 – The New York Times reports that Mayo Shattuck III has resigned, effective immediately, as head
of the Alex (A.B) Brown unit of Deutschebank.
26. September 29, 2001 – The San Francisco Chronicle reports that $2.5 million in put options on American Airlines and
United Airlines are unclaimed. This is likely the result of the suspension in trading on the NYSE after the attacks
which gave the Securities and Exchange Commission time to be waiting when the owners showed up to redeem their put
27. October 10, 2001 – The Pakistani newspaper The Frontier Post reports that U.S. Ambassador Wendy Chamberlain has paid
a call on the Pakistani oil minister. A previously abandoned Unocal pipeline from Turkmenistan, across Afghanistan, to
the Pakistani coast, for the purpose of selling oil and gas to China, is now back on the table “in view of recent
28. Mid October, 2001 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average, after having suffered a precipitous drop has recovered most of
its pre-attack losses. Although still weak, and vulnerable to negative earnings reports, a crash has been averted by a
massive infusion of government spending on defense programs, subsidies for “affected” industries and planned tax cuts
Now, let’s go back to the October 31 story by Le Figaro – the one that has Osama bin Laden meeting with a CIA officer in
Dubai this June.
The story says that, “Throughout his stay in the hospital, Osama Bin Laden received visits from many family members
[There goes the story that he’s a black sheep!] and Saudi Arabian Emirate personalities of status. During this time the
local representative of the CIA was seen by many people taking the elevator and going to bin Laden’s room.
“Several days later the CIA officer bragged to his friends about having visited the Saudi millionaire. From
authoritative sources, this CIA agent visited CIA headquarters on July 15tth, the day after bin Laden’s departure for
“According to various Arab diplomatic sources and French intelligence itself, precise information was communicated to
the CIA concerning terrorist attacks aimed at American interests in the world, including its own territory.”…
“Extremely bothered, they [American intelligence officers in a meeting with French intelligence officers] requested from
their French peers exact details about the Algerian activists [connected to bin Laden through Dubai banking
institutions], without explaining the exact nature of their inquiry. When asked the question, “What do you fear in the
coming days?’ the Americans responded with incomprehensible silence.”…
“On further investigation, the FBI discovered certain plans that had been put together between the CIA and its “Islamic
friends” over the years. The meeting in Dubai is, so it would seem, consistent with ‘a certain American policy.’”
Even though Le Figaro reported that it had confirmed with hospital staff that bin Laden had been there as reported,
stories printed on November 1 contained quotes from hospital staff that these reports were untrue. On November 1, as
reported by the Ananova press agency, the CIA flatly denied that any meeting between any CIA personnel and Osama bin
Laden at any time.
In the most ironic twist of all, FTW has learned that Le Figaro is owned by the Carlyle Group, the American defense
contractor which employs George Bush Sr., and which had as investors – until they sold their stake on October 26 - the
bin Laden family.
Who do you believe? In coming stories FTW will prove to you that this war, which according to Dick Cheney, may not end
in our lifetimes, has been in the works for at least four years.