INDEPENDENT NEWS

UN: Obstacles remain to global nuclear disarmament

Published: Fri 14 Jan 2000 11:02 AM
Obstacles remain to global nuclear disarmament, UN official warns.
13 January -- The world has made progress in recent years in fulfilling some of the global nuclear disarmament agenda but the challenges ahead are still formidable, UN Under-Secretary-General for Disarmament Affairs, Jayantha Dhanapala, said Wednesday.
"Anyone examining the published numbers of nuclear weapons over time will note a consistent downward trend since the height of the Cold War," Mr. Dhanapala said in an address at Stanford University's Center for International Security and Cooperation. But many traditional obstacles to disarmament remained: "nationalism, the notion of strategic nuclear supremacy, lack of mutual trust and the inability of any verification system ever to guarantee perfect compliance," he added.
While some progress had been made in reducing the 'alert' status of nuclear weapons, deeper reduction in stockpiles was dependent upon the entry into force of the START II treaty between the United States and the Russian Federation and the start up of negotiations on START III, Mr. Dhanapala said.
Also, despite many improvements in the physical security of nuclear material in recent years, "no control can guarantee that significant quantities of such material will not be vulnerable to terrorist threats," he added.
Mr. Dhanapala said the way ahead lay in new initiatives by nuclear-weapons States and in achieving universal membership of the non-proliferation treaties.
There had been some success in strengthening the role of the UN in the field of disarmament, Mr. Dhanapala said. He expressed the hope that a series of meetings at the UN this year, including the Millennium Summit and the review conference of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, "will help to rekindle some of the political will to pursue common disarmament goals in earnest."

Next in Lifestyle

Broken Estate: an expat expert surveys our media
By: RNZ
Geraint Martin to step down as Te Papa’s Chief Executive
By: Te Papa
A City Possessed 2019 Edition coincides with Ellis appeal
By: Otago University Press
Māori Language Commission tribute to NZers embracing Te Reo
By: Te Taura Whiri i te Reo Maori
Four Women in a Man Cave - 'The Pink Hammer'
By: Howard Davis
The NZSO Present 'Transfiguration'
By: Howard Davis
Te Papa expert made redundant offered new role at museum
By: RNZ
Peter Ellis, man at centre of Chch creche sex case, has died
By: RNZ
Peter Ellis granted leave to appeal case to Supreme Court
By: RNZ
TOAH-NNEST media statement following the death of Peter Ellis
By: TOAH-NNEST
Peter Ellis granted leave to appeal to Supreme Court
By: NZ Supreme Court
Gordon Campbell on the Supreme Court and the Ellis case
By: Gordon Campbell
Tribute to wāhine toa who help keep te reo Māori strong
By: Maori Language Commission
Central online hub for te reo Māori resources launched
By: New Zealand Government
New place names restore Maniapoto history
By: New Zealand Government
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media