INDEPENDENT NEWS

More Spin Over Substance From Maharey

Published: Fri 23 Mar 2001 10:02 AM
The Auckland University of Technology’s Students Association (AuSM) has reacted angrily today to Steve Maharey’s claims that the Government delivered for students over the 2000/2001 summer.
AuSM President Glen Oliver is concerned that the Government is congratulating itself for a job well done when the majority of students are still ineligible for financial assistance if unemployed during summer.
“Claims that students are markedly better off are quite simply ridiculous. The exceptional circumstances benefit that Maharey promotes as the cure-all is difficult to access, and less than 1% of all students received it last summer”, Oliver said.
“Maharey seems determined to push the point that under the current scheme, 35% of students are eligible for the EUB. What happened to the other 65%?”
“Maharey was one of the most vocal opponents when the National Government removed the EUB in 1998. Now, as Minister, he has backed out of helping students where students need it most”.
“Now that students around the country are voicing their opinions in increasing numbers, Maharey is being forced to produce spin to cover up the failings of his so-called ‘student friendly’ Government”, said Oliver.
“Maharey should stop sidestepping and confront the real issue by reinstating the EUB in the upcoming Budget”, concluded Oliver.
ENDS
For further information please contact:
Glen Oliver
President
Auckland Student Movement @AUT
Ph (09) 917 9999 ext 8571
Mobile (021) 392 079

Next in Lifestyle

'Entre-Deux-Guerres' - Aldous Huxley's 'Crome Yellow' - Pt I
By: Howard Davis
WOMAD - Love Will Lead Us Home
By: Joseph Cederwall
The Puzzling Poetic Praxis of J.H. Prynne - Part II
By: Howard Davis
2019 Ockham Finalists Explore Truth and Issues of Our Times
By: Ockham Book Awards
Two measles cases notified in Auckland
By: Auckland Regional Public Health Service
Hudson and Halls biography shortlisted for Ockham awards
By: Otago University Press
Measles in Canterbury - Expert Q&A;
By: Science Media Centre
Vaccine boost as measles cases rise in Canterbury
By: RNZ
Vaccination the best protection against measles
By: New Zealand Government
National measles immunisation schedule remains on track
By: Ministry of Health
Ministry issues reminder to stay safe from illness
By: Ministry of Health
Twenty-five measles cases now confirmed in Canterbury
By: Canterbury District Health Board
Immunisation only sure way to avoid measles
By: Northland District Health Board
PM's Post-Cab 11/3/19: China, Jones, Tax
By: The Scoop Team
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media