27 November, 2006
99 the magic number for Fringe 07
The numbers are in and the results are final: New Zealand’s shifting left and heading for the fringes during February
and March 2007.
The New Zealand Fringe Festival has 99 productions registered to be a part of Fringe 07, from all over New Zealand and
Australia. This number easily tops last year’s roll call of 83 productions. Fringe is growing!
“You can’t get a more fringe number than 99,” said Fringe 07 Director Karen Blyth. “But, besides the cool number there’s
a truckload of creative goodies in the Santa sack for next year.
“Applicants are pushing boundaries of not only their performances and creations but also the mediums of how they show
“There’ll be houses constructed in cramped alleyways, fashion and body-art fusion on the water, comedy in scientific
installations, theatre in bars, schoolyards and tramping clubs, and random mayhem on the streets.
“Wellington is definitely turning a deep shade of ‘Fringe’ for February,” she said. “Something to remember too is that
the International Festival of the Arts is having its biennial break so we’ve got your arts and culture covered for
“There’s heaps of stuff on, including Fringe events like the family friendly Fricnic and Chalk the Walk events, Rockin’
on the Fringe for music lovers and of course the bedlam that is the closing night awards ceremony – so diary these
Information packs including press and images for all productions will be distributed to media in at the Programme Launch
on January 19th. Key dates include:
- Programme Launch, January 19 at San Francisco Bathhouse
- Fringe Festival opens, February 9, Wellington City-wide
- Rockin’ On The Fringe, February 10, San Francisco Bath House
- Fricnic – Fringe Festival picnic, February 17, Frank Kitts Park
- Chalk the Walk, February 17, Wellington Waterfront (adjacent to Fricnic)
- Closing Night Party and Awards Ceremony, March 4, at San Francisco Bathhouse