FOR IMMIDIATE RELEASE
July 11, 2001
City Voice Media Ltd. ceases publishing City Voice
City Voice Media Ltd. announced today that last week’s City Voice (5 July, 2001) was the last one to be published by the
company and no plans are being made to re-initiate publication.
“We had a great team, incredible support from investors and readers and a very unique newspaper, unfortunately the
Wellington advertising market wasn’t reacting as we had expected it” said Federico Monsalve director of City Voice Media
Ltd. and publisher of the newspaper.
“City Voice was unique in the country for its independence and points of view. From the reactions I’ve had over the last
few days, I can tell it will be widely missed,” said news editor Mike Beggs.
We hope the paper, which lasted for over 8 years and was a landmark in New Zealand journalism, serves as proof that
there is a hunger in Aotearoa for independent media, and as encouragement to anyone else wishing to begin a similar
For additional comments:
Mike Beggs (021) 455 762
Federico Monsalve (021) 423 229