INDEPENDENT NEWS

SFO took 2 years to bring case against disgraced accountant

Published: Wed 12 Sep 2018 06:25 PM
SFO took two years to bring case against disgraced accountant
By Nikki Mandow
Sept. 12 (BusinessDesk) - The Serious Fraud Office won’t say why it took so long to bring a case against an accountant who admitted taking client money and was thrown out of the industry body in 2016.
Christopher George Wright was suspended by the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants in May 2016 and kicked out in December that year, after pleading guilty to the tribunal to stealing funds from clients over an eight-year period.
Now the SFO has brought charges against Wright, alleging the 62-year-old filed tax returns on behalf of his clients and misappropriated refunds of about $1.01 million. The SFO alleges Wright defrauded 245 clients over a six-year period from January 2010 to April 2016.
Spokesman Henry Acland says the SFO won’t comment on the case until after any sentencing. But the office is asking any of Wright’s clients who think they might have been defrauded to make contact with it.
In December 2016, the Institute of Chartered Accountants’ disciplinary tribunal said Wright acknowledged he had been taking client monies for approximately eight years.
"The tribunal finds that the member's conduct - the misappropriation of at least $280,000 over approximately 18 months and his admission that he had been taking client monies over approximately eight years - constitutes misconduct in a professional capacity," the decision said.
This week Wright appeared in the Auckland District Court charged by the SFO with "theft by a person in a special relationship". He didn’t enter a plea and was remanded on bail until Oct. 4.
(BusinessDesk)
BusinessDesk
Independent, Trustworthy New Zealand Business News
The Wellington-based BusinessDesk team provides a daily news feed for a serious business audience.
Contact BusinessDesk
Email:

Next in Business, Science, and Tech

Power panel favours scrapping low-fixed charges
By: BusinessDesk
PEPANZ gas report nothing but "fake news and flatulence"
By: Greenpeace New Zealand
Biosecurity New Zealand – Situation Update 2
By: Biosecurity NZ
Making sure multinationals pay their fair share
By: New Zealand Government
Second paper for the Electricity Price Review published
By: Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment
Power price spike put margin squeeze on NZ producers in Dec
By: BusinessDesk
CORRECT: Meridian posts record 1H operating earnings
By: BusinessDesk
Response to the Electricity Price Review options paper
By: Electricity Networks Association
ERANZ to work with government and industry on EPR paper
By: ERANZ
Meridian welcomes Electricity Price Review Panels PPD stance
By: Meridian Energy
FinCap welcomes Electricity Price Review Options paper
By: FinCap
Electricity in the spotlight
By: Statistics New Zealand
Exploration ban may cut GDP by $38 billion - NZIER
By: BusinessDesk
NZIER report shows $28b blow to economy from oil and gas ban
By: PEPANZ
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media