6th December 2007
Primary School Set For Stonefields
The Ministry of Education has today announced that it has acquired a 3.2 hectare site in the middle of Stonefields, the
new, award-winning community transforming the 110 hectare site of the former Mt Wellington quarry.
The site will accommodate a primary school of about 500 pupils, which will be built by the start of the 2010 school
Andrew Stringer, General Manager of Landco Land Developments, the company that is creating Stonefields, said: “With a
school at the centre of Stonefields, one of the major foundation stones for this new community has been laid The
school’s location is one of the key measures we are putting in place to enhance the sustainability of the community, as
it will work to reduce reliance on cars. It also complements our substantial water recycling initiative at Stonefields
and the planting of thousands of trees in the community.”
This is the latest step in the creation of Stonefields and follows the news that Queensland division of the Planning
Institute of Australia (PIA) recently awarded the project a Merit Award in Planning Excellence. Stonefields was the only
private initiative to gain an award, representing the first time that a New Zealand project has gained an accolade at
the PIA Awards.
· Stonefields is a new, high quality community transforming the 110 hectare site of the former
Winstone’s quarry, only 8km from Auckland’s CBD.
· Surrounded by many exceptional reserves, sports clubs and recreation facilities, Stonefields is
far more than just another residential subdivision. It is a master planned community; an attractive, well
thought-through and modern urban environment that will provide 2,900 dwellings for 6,500 people to call home, as well as
employment, schooling and recreation for residents.
· Stonefields will provide many high quality amenities, including links to public transport, a
beautifully landscaped lake and many parks, thousands of native plants and trees, heritage walking trails and open
spaces. A town centre – to be known as ‘Stonefields Quarter’ - will also be created to become the vibrant heart of the
· Stonefields is the vision of Landco Land Developments, a company that specialises in creating
comprehensive, sustainable and vibrant communities.
· For the past five years Landco and Auckland City have been working in co-operation to achieve high
quality residential development in this location.
· Visit www.stonefields.co.nz to see the Stonefields community.