Wellington City Libraries has now ensured non-members can temporarily sign-up to access thousands of online resources
from the comfort of their own home.
“We are excited to announce anyone currently in Wellington can join Wellington City Libraries (WCL) online,” says
Laurinda Thomas, Library and Community Spaces Manager.
“This means people can access thousands of online resources, books, newspapers, magazines, movie and music streaming
services; or online learning and language courses during the COVID-19 closedown.”
“Libraries are important spaces to support, engage, educate and entertain people. As everyone apart from essential
services are being asked to stay at home, we have made some key changes to our services to support peoples’ wellbeing
over the coming weeks,” says Laurinda.
“The first was enabling people to get a full library membership when they join the library online – which they can do as
“We have already extended the due date for all items currently on loan to 4 May 2020. So there is no need for customers
to renew their items or return them. Please stay home and keep any items with you. If the Government is required to
extend the COVID-19 restrictions, we will automatically extend all items again for the duration. So no one will be
charged new overdue fees.”
“We are now looking at how we can provide some of our popular programmes via livestream or video. So stay up-to-date on
our latest developments by visiting our website wcl.govt.nz
. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org
or message us on Twitter
“Thank you to everyone for your patience as we all adapt to this rapidly changing world. Please stay home, stay safe and
we are looking forward to welcoming you back to our branches when we are able to.”
How to join Wellington City Libraries (WCL) online:
- Wellington residents, students and people currently staying or working in the city are able to join the libraries
- Complete the WCL online form at wcl.govt.nz/join
- Our Libraries team will email you with your new library card number, which you can then use to access the online
- Your initial membership will be for six months. Once the current restrictions are lifted, you can visit any of our 12
libraries to sign the application form, so we can extend your membership.
- Once you have your library card number you can access the full range of library eResources at wcl.govt.nz/elibrary