INDEPENDENT NEWS

Wellington Regional Strategy

Published: Tue 29 Aug 2006 12:40 AM
Statement for the News Media
Wellington Regional Strategy
Upper Hutt Mayor Wayne Guppy announced today that his Council has lodged a formal objection to the proposal for the Wellington Regional Council to take over economic development under the umbrella of the Wellington Regional Strategy. The reasons for the objection are detailed below:
- The proposal to undertake economic development activity will lead to increased costs to Upper Hutt ratepayers. The Council objects to the imposition of additional costs on Upper Hutt ratepayers. No additional costs should be imposed until those costs can be fully quantified and are identified as appropriate and providing value.
- The proposal will affect Upper Hutt ratepayers through the redistribution of regional economic development costs across the various cities and districts in the region. Any proposal must ensure that any redistribution promotes the wellbeing of the Upper Hutt community and accords with their views and preferences
- The proposal will reduce the ability of the Upper Hutt City Council to influence outcomes that are important for the Upper Hutt community. The reduced role of the Council should only proceed where this has been signalled as appropriate by the Upper Hutt community.
- All decision-making processes and requirements for the proposed regional standing committee or economic development agency must ensure that private sector involvement does not diminish the accountability of the elected regional and territorial authority representatives. Specifically, the Upper Hutt City Council objects to the adoption of any decision-making processes and requirements relating to funding and rating which would enable decisions to be made contrary to the views of a majority of the local authority participants.
Mr Guppy said “Of particular concern to us is the increased cost to Upper Hutt ratepayers. Wellington Regional Council rates in Upper Hutt will increase by 8% to fund their new economic development function along with the 25% increase they already have planned over the next three years giving a total increase of 33%. This is on top of a 20% increase that Upper Hutt copped in the current year”
Mr Guppy added that ratepayers in other parts of the region should not be complacent about this either, with total proposed Wellington Regional Council rates increases over the next three years, including the new economic development costs, proposed to be:
Wellington – 32%
Lower Hutt – 32%
Porirua – 32%
Kapiti – 35%
Masterton – 43%
Carterton – 43%
South Wairarapa – 43%
“The other Councils will tell you that the new Wellington Regional Council economic development costs will be largely offset by reductions in their own budgets”, commented Mr Guppy. “All I can say is believe it when you see it”
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

Govt Helps Supermarket Shoppers Get A Fair Deal
By: New Zealand Government
Budget 2022: A Secure Future In Difficult Times
By: New Zealand Government
Climate Investments Provide Path To Economic Security
By: New Zealand Government
Jacqui Dean To Retire From Parliament In 2023
By: New Zealand National Party
Following Decision To Ban Manifesto The Buffalo Mass Shooting Livestream Is Now Banned
By: Classification Office
New Zealand Poised To Welcome International Students Back
By: New Zealand Government
Labour Taking New Zealand Backwards
By: New Zealand National Party
Nosediving Forecasts Show You Can’t Trust Grant’s Figures
By: ACT New Zealand
Brain Drain Budget Taxes Kiwis Hardest, ACT Gives Relief
By: ACT New Zealand
Inequality Not Solved By Separate Māori Spend
By: ACT New Zealand
PHARMAC Funding Review Needed
By: ACT New Zealand
The Brain Drain Budget
By: ACT New Zealand
Cost Of Living Package Eases Impact On Households – 2.1 Million Kiwis To Get New Targeted Payment
By: New Zealand Government
Investing In Better Health Services
By: New Zealand Government
A Secure Future For New Zealanders’ Health
By: New Zealand Government
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILE © Scoop Media