AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL
26 May 2006
Have your say on the rules of our city
Auckland City is encouraging the public to comment on the city’s draft waste, traffic and administration bylaws, which
are being revised as part of a wider review of all the city’s bylaws.
Under the Local Government Act 2002, Auckland City is required to review each of its 29 bylaws before July 2008 to make
sure they keep pace with the city’s changing needs.
The review of the three bylaws includes the following new provisions:
- Part 25 Traffic, parking zones, new parking meter technology, restricted vehicle lanes and provisions for towing from
disability parking spaces
- Part 22 Refuse, rules against illegal dumping, anti junk mail provisions and the licensing of large waste collectors
- Part 1 Bylaw administration, where issues linked to definitions and changes in enforcement powers have been addressed.
In particular, it is proposed to amend the definition of “amusement gallery” to update it and clarify that internet
cafes where games are offered are included within the definition.
“Auckland City bylaws govern a multitude of activities within the city that affect its people everyday – from what
happens to your rubbish and wastewater each week, to where you can park your car, what animals you keep at home, and
what you are allowed to do in public places,” says Councillor Glenda Fryer, chairperson of Auckland City’s Planning and
“Auckland City makes and enforces these bylaws on behalf of every Aucklander,” she says. “They contribute to us living
together harmoniously in a city environment, allow the council to run the city more efficiently and, as the population
grows, help keep Auckland city a safe, pleasant place to live.
“This is the opportunity for people to have their say on parts of the bylaws they think could be improved or need
different provisions and we urge them to take that opportunity.”
The draft bylaws are open for submissions from the public from Monday, 5 June to Friday, 7 July. Copies of the draft
bylaws and statements of proposal, which provide the reasons for the draft bylaws are all available for viewing at:
- Auckland City’s service centre at 35 Graham Street, Auckland city
- level 11, Civic Building, 1 Greys Avenue, Auckland city
- the council’s website at www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/council/documents/bylaw
- all Auckland City Council libraries.
Submission forms are available from www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/submission or from any of the locations listed above.
Auckland City last reviewed its bylaws in 1998. The current review involves examining existing bylaws to see if they are
consistent and meet their objectives, determine if they need updating, and ensure they are easy for people to read and
For details of Auckland City’s current bylaws, visit www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/bylaw or phone (09) 379 2020.