AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL
1 December 2005
Christmas with your coffee
Ponsonby will come alive with Christmas cheer, latte smells and jingle bells on Friday, 16 December from 6pm to 8pm.
Aucklanders are invited to join the suburb renowned for its individual style, artistic flair and eclectic lifestyles, in
celebrating Christmas with the Ponsonby Xmas Festival.
Ponsonby Road will be buzzing with an evening of street-side festivities in three main hubs around the neighbourhood.
Strolling entertainers, Christmas carol-singers, live bands and performers will provide a fun and festive atmosphere in
which to take advantage of Ponsonby's one-off late night of shopping. Highlights on the night include:
- Jazz in the park and family fun with Jiggles the Clown at Western Park.
- "Divine diva" drag queens, Santa Claus with the "Ho Ho Hos", and the always popular Mexican Mariachis around the
Franklin Road junction.
- "Te Riri o te o" - Lily of the Valley: a stunning Cook Islands cultural show, sizzling Xmas salsa performances by
Latin Rhythm Dance, and alfresco carols in the Three Lamps area.
Stroll the street and check out the Ponsonby Road Best Dressed Businesses, explore historic landmarks on the Christmas
heritage walk and dine out in some of the city's best restaurants.
Be sure to enter the draw to win one of two Telecom prepaid mobile phones. Entry forms can be completed at the Mt Eden
Rotary tent situated outside the Ponsonby Fire Station.
While you are there, make the most of the sausage sizzle and support Rotary as they fundraise for the Auckland City
Mission. Santa will also be there entertaining both the young and young-at-heart.
This free event is organised by Auckland City as part of their Ak@Play summer events programme, with support from
Metromedia, Ponsonby Road Promotions, Solid Gold 93.4FM, RadioLive 100.6FM and Western Bays Community Board.
Anyone who is interested in going to the event should check Auckland City's website for travel and parking tips.
Find out more online at www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/ponsonbyxmas
Note to Editors:
Ponsonby Xmas Festival programme:
Free entertainment will be focused around three hubs - providing something for everyone. Highlights include:
HUB 1 - Western Park end
- Jazz in the Park - back by popular demand, smooth sounds of summer jazz
- Festive face painting
- Jiggles the Clown
HUB 2 - Franklin Road junction
- "Divine diva" drag queens
- Santa Claus ready with the "Ho Ho Hos" outside Ponsonby Fire Station
- strolling musicians and other entertainment around the bars and cafés
- the always popular Mexican Mariachis
- visit the Mt Eden Rotary tent and support their fundraising for the Auckland City Mission by buying a tasty treat from
the sausage sizzle
- enter the draw to win one of two fabulous Telecom prepaid mobile phones at the Mt Eden Rotary tent.
HUB 3 - Three Lamps area
· All Saints Church grounds:
· "Te Riri o te o" - Lily of the Valley: a stunning Cook Islands cultural show
1 Xmas Salsa: a series of sizzling performances by Latin Rhythm Dance
- explore historic landmarks on the Christmas Heritage Walk: departs from The Ponsonby Belgian Beer Café 6pm - 7pm
- alfresco carols sung by St John's Church choir
- face-painting and balloon twisting
- pavement chalk art