AUCKLAND CITY COUNCIL
17 November 2005
'Tis the season for Christmas festivities
Christmas is just around the corner and Auckland City is celebrating the holiday season with a series of free Christmas
festivities across Auckland.
Mercury Energy helps get Aucklanders into the holiday spirit by proudly sponsoring carol singing Christmas events each
year. The whole family can enjoy the fantastic music and festive atmosphere at the Carols by Candlelight concerts in
Three Kings, St Heliers, Balmoral and Waiheke Island.
The Carols by Candlelight concert on Waiheke Island is part of the Waiheke Christmas Festival. The weekend of
celebrations includes a parade of floats, marching bands, Santa and much more.
Onehunga residents will have a twinkling start to their festive season. Carol singing, local performing groups and Santa
Claus will accompany the traditional lighting of the tree in Jellicoe Park.
Aucklanders can soak up the friendly island atmosphere and welcome Christmas on Great Barrier Island with stalls, family
fun, music, and floats.
Otahuhu's Christmas celebrations will be centred around the main street and Criterion Square, with locals invited to
join in the carol singing and face painting while enjoying a special visit from Santa.
Avondale will be spinning their own web of Christmas festivities with the unique Carols by Spiderlight.
The Ponsonby Xmas Festival was a huge success last year, so this year the celebrations will be bigger and merrier. The
distinctive neighbourhood will be celebrating in style with jingle bells, latte aromas and an evening of street-side
festivities, strolling entertainers, bands and late night shopping.
Aucklanders are invited to pack a picnic and head down to the Domain for the biggest event of all - the annual Coca-Cola
Christmas in the Park on Saturday 10 December at 7.45pm.
So grab your candle, tune your singing voice and get ready for the jolly weeks ahead!
All of these free Christmas events are provided by Auckland City as part of the Ak@Play summer events programme.
For more information visit www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/christmas.
Note to editors - Christmas event calendar:
- Friday 2 December, Onehunga Xmas Lights (sponsored by Mercury Energy and Solid Gold)
Jellicoe Park, cnr Quadrant Rd and Grey St, Onehunga.
- Saturday 3 December, Great Barrier Santa Parade
Claris Sportsclub Grounds, Great Barrier Island.
- Saturday 10 December, Coca-Cola Christmas in the Park
- Saturday 10 December to Sunday 11 December, Waiheke Christmas Festival (carols sponsored by Mercury Energy and Solid
Waiheke Santa parade (Saturday) Oneroa Village, Waiheke Island, 2pm
Carols by Candlelight Waiheke (Sunday) 7pm at St Peters Church, 8pm - 9.30pm at Little Oneroa Beach Reserve, Waiheke
- Sunday 11 December, Carols by Candlelight, St Heliers (sponsored by Mercury Energy and Solid Gold)
St Heliers School, cnr St Heliers and Maskell sts, St Heliers (rain venue St Heliers School Hall)
- Sunday 11 December, Carols by Candlelight, Three Kings (sponsored by Mercury Energy and Solid Gold)
Three Kings Reserve, cnr Mt Eden and Mt Albert rds, Three Kings.
- Friday 16 December, Ponsonby Xmas Festival (sponsored by Solid Gold)
Ponsonby Road, Ponsonby.
- Saturday 17 December, Otahuhu Christmas Celebrations (sponsored by Solid Gold)
Criterion Square and Great South Road, Otahuhu.
- Sunday 18 December, Carols by Candlelight, Potters Park (sponsored by Mercury Energy and Solid Gold)
Cnr Dominion and Balmoral rds, Balmoral (rain venue Mt Eden War Memorial Hall)
- Sunday 18 December, Carols by Spiderlight, Avondale (sponsored by Solid Gold)
Town Square, Avondale.