INDEPENDENT NEWS

End in sight for MFC super sewage tank project

Published: Tue 10 Aug 2004 12:37 AM
10 August 2004
End in sight for MFC super sewage tank project
The final part of a project to reduce the likelihood of sewage overflowing into Wellington harbour will begin on Monday 16 August, with the replacement of a sewer main in Wakefield Street.
The sewer main will service the almost-completed 850 cubic metre sewage overflow tank under the Michael Fowler Centre car park and associated underground pumps. Sewer pipes along Wakefield Street from Cuba Street to Taranaki Street will be replaced. The work should be completed by mid November, and will be done by Fulton Hogan Limited and E Carson and Sons Limited on behalf of the Council.
Byron Roff, who is managing the project for the Council, says the completion of the tank marks a milestone in a $9 million scheme upgrading and enlarging sewage pumping stations across the city.
“The tank should reduce the likelihood of sewage overflows into the harbour. The project is part of a wider $72 million project to eliminate sewage pollution from Wellington’s harbour, streams and coast,” he says.
Marking another milestone is the relocation of the large pohutukawa tree which was temporarily relocated during the project to allow for construction of the tank. “As planned we are now putting the tree back a few metres to the left of where it originally sat.”
The sewer main work will be conducted between 7am and 4pm Monday to Friday, though when work is close to the intersections at either end, work will finish at 3.30pm. Concrete breakers and excavator work may cause traffic delays and temporary parking restrictions while the pipeline is completed.
“The entire job has been an ambitious project, but we’re almost there. We’re grateful for the patience people have shown so far, and we’re hoping they’ll be able to bear with us for a bit longer while we sort out the sewer main and finish the project,” Mr Roff says.
Photo opportunity – the pohutukawa tree is scheduled to be craned back into place in the MFC carpark some time after midday tomorrow. Contact Angela Bensemann for further details.
ENDS

Next in New Zealand politics

Gordon Campbell on what’s wrong with Wellington
By: Gordon Campbell
$1m Compensation To Christchurch Gun Owners In First Event
By: RNZ
Youth Parliament 2019 Event Kicks Off in the Capital
By: New Zealand Government
Foreign Minister to visit United States of America
By: New Zealand Government
Gordon Campbell on the Aussie banks’ latest fee hike excuse
By: Gordon Campbell
Terms of Reference for Defence Estate Review Released
By: New Zealand Government
Race Relations Commissioner appointed
By: New Zealand Government
Students granted formal qualifications after fees scrapped
By: New Zealand Government
Million-dollar start to gun collection events
By: Ministry of Education
Praise after first firearms collection event
By: New Zealand Government
Cantabrians hand in 542 firearms in one weekend
By: New Zealand Police
First Firearms collection event a success
By: New Zealand Police
Firearms collection event update – Thank you Canterbury
By: New Zealand Police
Gun 'buyback' pure political theatre
By: ACT New Zealand
NZ to learn from US gun violence report
By: Amnesty International
View as: DESKTOP | MOBILEWe're in BETA! Send Feedback © Scoop Media